Skip to main content

Technology

I teach English 9 honors class in a room where each student has a computer on his or her desk.  This experience has caused a fascinating change in thinking for me.  In fact, if I prioritize my time differently I could write a thousand blog entries all about going back into the classroom.  But for today I want to write about how I see technology differently than my students.

There is always a generational divide.  For some generations the divide was best defined by music and mores.  Now, there's another divide.

Imagine that the world of technology is like a backyard.  My generation has gotten to know that yard as each individual blade of grass popped up.  My first encounter with a computer was this dark screen that I typed commands into and eventually made the screen go from black to flashing colored letters that spelled my name in a very blocky way.  Years later I got to know WordPerfect and dot-matrix printers.  Then a dial-up internet that felt fast when it only took one minute to load access to a data-base for research. One year I learned a grade book program.  Another year I learned Power Point.  One thing at a time, one really long butt-numbing workshop after another.

My kids have a completely different experience, a totally different way of perceiving technology.  For them the grass (and the weeds) have always been there.  They haven't sat through any butt-numbing workshops at ALL and yet they know how to operate Word, Power Point, You Tube, websites, and more other programs than I can even imagine.  While my generation gets our shoulders all bunched up around our ears at the idea of learning a new app, the generation that follows us has already figured out where the bugs in the program reside.  They understand that if you click the wrong button, nothing blows up.  (Or it does blow up and isn't THAT cool?)

But what they don't know yet, is the difference between grass and weeds.  And that's where the two generations need to collide for Good.  We need them to teach us to just try things out, to dig and ask questions until we make things work and they need us to help them see what is worthy of attention in the cyber-world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Read This if You Don't Like the Word Pee

   Okay... so I think I nearly broke the toilet from plopping down on it so hard to go pee.  WHY did I plop instead of coming in for my usual graceful landing?  Because my best friend encouraged me to go to the gym and take her weight lifting class... and because I did it... and because she's so darn encouraging that I tried to show off how MOST people who don't go to the gym for four months would really stink their first time back... but not me!  I decided that I should prove that I am a superhero who can skip the gym for four months and come in looking fresh and fit and strong as an ox... okay, okay... an ox that can lift a 2kg dumbell.  I decided that these sleeping muscles could SURELY do just as many squats as that cute 60 year old woman in the front row whose gluteus maximus muscles look nice and bouncy. I'm just going to have to be deliberate about which chairs I go to sit in today.  Spindly antique ones are definitely NOT my best option. ...

Nesting

This is the kitchen project we just finished.  I designed it all with enthusiastic agreement from Tom and the boys.  I think I'm fixing up my heart for the next chapter. .... I'm home with a sick boy today... not sure if he's more sick in his body or in his spirit, but a moment of being still never hurt anyone.  And here I am being still, taking the time to tiptoe around my sure-to-feel-neglected blog.  I'm writing, quite certain that whoever used to follow my writing has long since moved on to other trails through the woods, but knowing that this matters. I've spent the day doodling and exploring the blogs and work of other artists, artists who manage to put more time, more drama into their creating.  I've felt inspired enough today to plan out the shelf-lets I want to build in the library to display our printed Instagram photos and the prints of Marcus' incredible panoramics that he took in Home Depot.  I've drawn a kookie bird covered in feathe...

In Honor of Writing (and Art-ing) Groups

"Turn it over one hundred times, and on the one-hundred-and-first time you'll understand... When you think you understand a teaching, when you have an interpretation of a story or character that feels comfortable or right, it's time to start over at the beginning."   Vacation is letting me turn things over, turning over the perceptions, the interpretations I've held on to so tightly.  And, I know I said I wouldn't write,but there are some things that just can't wait. This last week I went with my mom to visit the writing group she leads.  There were nine women there, all of us interested in improving our writing.  Each woman took a turn reading something she'd prepared and our indomitable leader offered us two opportunities for six-minute timed writings (topic one: the eighth dwarf, topic two: shoes).  The writing was BEAUTIFUL!  And here's what I learned from being in San Antonio, Texas, with a group of women I've never met: There are peopl...